Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cotton candy and livestock, you say?

Yes it's time for the fair again.  I literally cannot wait to go.  We attempted to go to the state fair this year but since we have bad credit, we could not take out a loan to pay for the armbands.  It was ridiculous that they were charging to get in the gate and then $20 for a ride-all-you-want armband.  I mean, I know my kids could wear down the axle on a carousel but there was no way we could afford $100 plus for a trip to the fair.

So we have opted for the cheaper albeit smaller county version.  We go every year and though not much has changed over the past few years, it never fails to delight all of us and fill us up on trans fat, sugar and dizziness enough to last until next fall.  The only complaint I will have this year (and it was the same for last year) is the heat.  Who in the hell turned up the thermostat on September?  I remember not so many years ago breaking out the jeans and cardigans for this time of year.  Luckily, the fair isn't even open during the day so we will have a little bit of coolness and get to enjoy all the lights.

And as much as I enjoy the fair, the food, the people, I will say that growing older has really taken away my love for riding the rides.  For those of you who haven't heard the story of me, a Cook's Pest Control truck and the hysterically screaming driver, several years ago I was mowed down in a parking lot by said driver in said truck and suffered minimal injury but sustained a massive case of vertigo and pelvic discomfort.  So now, riding rides makes me so dizzy I wanna puke.  I actually turn several shades of green.  It's not a pretty picture.  Especially when you take into account that I've probably had a funnel cake and maybe a corndog.  I will ride a ride or two and get a thrill but even the merry go round will make me see double for a minute.  So I leave the riding to my kids and husband.

Maybe this year I will just resign to taking pictures and admiring the quilts and canned items of the good people of the county where I live.  Though when it's all said and done, I know that I will be melancholy for another fair and September that have gone all too quickly.

 "Oh holy prairie night. The music of the carousel and buzz of the electric lights:
Your benediction for a fading summer." --Kristie Woll

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like George Washington Carver said:

1. Be clean both inside and outside.
2. Neither look up to the rich nor down on the poor.
3. Lose, if need be, without squealing.
4. Win without bragging.
5. Always be considerate of women, children and old people.
6. Be too brave to lie.
7. Be too generous to cheat.
8. Take your share of the world and let others take theirs.

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com