Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Penny wise, pound foolish?

THE PLAN.  The plan not to spend any money this month is really showing me how good I am at getting around rules.  And not really doing much in the way of teaching me self control.  I didn’t realize this whole idea was going to REVEAL things about ME.  Lord have mercy on me.  Please.

So I did spend money this last week.  And just in an effort to be accountable and learn something from this whole process, I’ll break it down for you. 

1)  I bought a $5 Starbuck’s card for $1.  I have not printed it out yet and since it was only a buck AND for food type things, I won’t be too hard on myself.  I mean, I do have to drink delicious whipped cream topped coffee beverages.  I’m not a savage.

2)  I also ate breakfast out.  This was in the $5 range.  I convinced myself that since I was going to a job interview and was terribly nervous, I had to eat.  And since I had forgotten to eat at home in my rush to get the kids to school, I had to stop somewhere.  They also had free WiFi and I got to ease my nerves by Facebooking.  I swear, I can really talk myself into some nonsense.  BTW, I got the job.  So could I call it a pre-emptive celebratory breakfast?  Sure, why not.

3)  I bought my daughter some long johns.  This was a $5 purchase at the good ole Wal-Mart.  And it actually was a necessity.  Those of you who live in the southeast US know we were expecting THUNDERSNOW 2011.  She had no long johns or anything that would suffice and I knew there would be lots of playing outside if the snow came.  So I got them but I was supremely proud of myself for not going down the clearance aisle.  I started that way but told myself not to cave.  And I didn’t.  Score 1 for me. 

4)  I took my son to a painting class.  Now technically this was free because we had a gift certificate.  The lunch at Burger King afterward was not.  This was $9 and some change.  Can you believe that?  Highway robbery.  He was hungry, I had not packed a lunch.  I caved to the pressure of a 7 year old.  Granted, again, it was food stuff.  But handing over the dough really made me flinch. 

This also made me realize that I was cheating and had been all week.  Because I could basically justify any purchase I made.  It also made me aware of the fact that I do this kind of thing in a lot of areas.  Just a dollar or two here.  Just another bite.  Just another minute of ignoring my kids.  Whew!  I didn’t intend for any of this to be deep and soulful.  I really just thought it would be fun to try. 

So with a new week at hand, I am looking ahead with high hopes for myself.  My new job starts tomorrow and I feel a surge of self discipline coming on.  Plus I have some coupons for free stuff like coffee and movie rentals in my purse for any retail therapy related emergencies.  I think I’ll make it!!!

1 comment:

  1. wow thats really neat how it all is unfolding in many different ways!

    ReplyDelete

Like George Washington Carver said:

1. Be clean both inside and outside.
2. Neither look up to the rich nor down on the poor.
3. Lose, if need be, without squealing.
4. Win without bragging.
5. Always be considerate of women, children and old people.
6. Be too brave to lie.
7. Be too generous to cheat.
8. Take your share of the world and let others take theirs.

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com